The Barna Group put out a recent study that list 6 major themes concerning the Church and the future. The two big questions I have about this study are these:
- Is this the Church of 2011?
- What are we doing to change this image?
Here are the themes Barna highlighted in the article:
- The Christian Church is becoming less theologically literate.
- Christians are becoming more ingrown and less outreach-oriented.
- Growing numbers of people are less interested in spiritual principles and more desirous of learning pragmatic solutions for life.
- Among Christians, interest in participating in community action is escalating.
- The postmodern insistence on tolerance is winning over the Christian Church.
- The influence of Christianity on culture and individual lives is largely invisible.
Again, is this the Church of 2011? If it is, I’m checking out. If it’s not, then what are we doing to change our image? How is next year going to be different from this year?