Modern Day Slavery – Slavery which exists today and in recent times. Any system by which an individual or a group of human beings is controlled and forced to work for another without their consent or is deceived or manipulated into serving another.
Human Trafficking – A criminal activity in which people are recruited, harbored, transported, bought, or kidnapped to serve an exploitative purpose, such as sexual slavery, forced labor, or child soldiery.
- 27 Million people, worldwide, are enslaved today
- 200,000 people are enslaved in the United States
- 17,500 new victims are enslaved every year, in the US
- 30,000 people are transported through the US onto other places, each year
- This “business” brings in about $32 BILLION each year
CLOSER TO HOME STATS:
- Currently, 5 states DO NOT have laws against human trafficking: , Massachusetts, West Virginia, Wyoming, and Hawaii.
- JUST signed a law against human trafficking in December 2010, BUT this law won’t go into effect until March 2011.
- In Ohio, the punishment for trafficking people is a max of 8 years in prison.
- Toledo, OH, is the 3rd LARGEST human trafficking city in the US.
- The majority of victims sold into slavery are runaway and foreign teenagers.
- 800 Foreign-youth are imported into Ohio each year.
- 2,000 people were sold / transported through Ohio in 2010.
- Until recently, you could purchase PEOPLE, as SLAVES, on Craigslist.com. They have since discontinued this.
ORGANIZATIONS TO CONNECT WITH:
- NOT FOR SALE
- INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE MISSION
- LOSE CHANGE TO LOOSEN CHAINS – student campaign
- END HUMAN TRAFFICKING
- ANTI-SLAVERY INTERNATIONAL
- CENTRAL OHIO RESCUE and RESTORE
- END SLAVERY CINCINNATI
- SECOND CHANCE of TOLEDO
- RAHAB’S HIDEAWAY